Our Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was promised Jannah, even though he repented to Allah a hundred times a day. If he, as being so pure and with a heart of gold repented, than what are we if we compare ourselves to him. The narration says that Abu Burdah Ra said: “I heard the Prophet (pbuh) say:
“O People, repent to Allah, for I repent to Allah one hundred times a day”. (Sahih Muslim).
Every muslim in this world has done deeds they regret for doing. Every muslim wants Allah to forgive him/her. Every person has their own way of asking forgiveness. Allah forgives people whom ask for forgiveness for a deed and strive to never do that bad deed again.
“When those who believe in Our ayat come to you say “Salamun Alaykum” (peace be upon you) ; your Lord has written mercy for Himself, so that, if any of you does evil in ignorance and thereafter repents and does righteous good deeds, then surely, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”.
This is my recipe for asking for forgiveness:
- Keeping your wudhu at all times no matter if you`re at school or work. After you do wudhu and you step out of the toilet, read 2. Kalima, and InshaAllah in the Hereafter you would be able to step into Jannah from any of the eight gates of Jannah that you want to use. With the last drop of the water of wudhu you wash away the sins. Read more here.
- Read “SubhanAllahi wabihamdihi, SubhanAllah hilAzim” 100 times after every salat when you have time for it. Than all your mistakes will inshaAllah be forgiven. The Prophet (pbuh) has said: There are two words which are light on the tongue, heavy on the scale and beloved to the Most Gracious. It means “How perfect Allah is and I praise Him. How perfect Allah is, The Supreme”. “And whoever says “Subhan Allahi wa bihamdihi” (Glory and praise is to Allah), one hundred times in a day, his sins will be erased, even if they are like the foam of the sea”. (Sahih Muslim)
- The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) has said: “There is some kind of shadow upon my heart, so I ask Allah for forgiveness one hundred times a day.
- It was narrated from Abu Bakr ra that he said to the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) : “Teach me a supplication that I may say during my prayer”. He (pbuh) said : “Allahumma inni zalamtu nafsi zulman kabira, wa la yaghfirudh-dhunuba illa anta, faghfirli maghfiratan min indika warhamni, innaka antal ghafurur-rahim”. (O Allah, I have wronged myself greatly and no one forgives sins but You, so grant me forgiveness from You and have mercy on me, for You are the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”. (Muslim, Sahih).
- Read “Allah humma Innaka affuwon tohibbol afwa faafu anni” 100 times after you have read the salat.
- Do wudhu thoroughly and well and read 2 nafl of wudhu before the salat, where your mind is focused at Qibla and the meaning of what you are reciting. Then inshaAllah you will enter Jannah in the Hereafter and your past sins will be forgiven.
- Read Ayatulkursi after every fardh salat, before you talk to anyone, and InshaAllah nothing will come in the way of you entering Jannah in the Hereafter.
- Read Salat-ul-tasbhi on a friday, Eid day or whenever you have time, but not when it is makroh time ( not after fajr or asr, when the sun is going up or down). It is called the prayer of forgiveness. You can read more here.
- The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said: ” Allah will bring out a man from among my Ummah in the presence of the entire creation on the Day of Resurrection. Ninety nine (99) records of (bad deeds) will be spread out for him and each of these records, will be as far as the eye can see. Allah will then ask him: ” Will you deny any of these? Have my scribes been unjust to you?”. He will say: “No, My Lord”. Allah will say: “Do you have any excuse?”. He will say: “No, My Lord”. Allah the exalted will then say: ” Yes you have a good deed that We have kept for you, for no unjustice will be done to you today”. A card will then be brought out in which the following is written: ” I testify that there is no deity worthy of being worshipped except Allah and I testify that Muhammad (pbuh) is the Messenger”. Allah will then tell him: ” See your scale”. He will say: ” My Lord, what is this card? What are these records? “. Allah will say: “You shall not be wronged today”. The records will then be put on the scale and the card will be put on another. The card will then outweigh the records, for nothing can outweigh Allah`s Name. (Jami`At-Tirmidhi).
- Read SayyidalAstagfar twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening before you go to bed. If you die that day or night, you will in sha Allah go to Jannah because you have read it. Read more here.
- A hadith: It was narrated from Abu Hurayra Ra that the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said: ” Whoever says: ” La ilaha Illallahu wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahulmulku wa lahul-hamdu, wa huwa alaa kulli shay`in qadir” (None has the right to be worshipped but Allah with no partner or associate, His is the dominion, to Him is praise and He has Power over all things), 100 times in a day, it will be the equivalent of his freeing one hundred slaves, and one hundred good deeds will be recorded for him, and one hundred bad deeds will be erased for him, and it will be a protection for him against the shaitan all day until evening comes, and no one will do anything better than what he has done except one who does more than that. (Sahih Muslim).
These are simple steps that erases sins even if they are many. Remember that Allah can erase any sins as long as we strive to not do it again. Pray for the whole of Ummah in your supplications, inshaAllah, ameen. This is how I pray whenever I have extra time to spend. Try to make good habits that last for a long time instead of reading 100 nafl one day and miss the prayers for the preceding 5 days because you got tired of reading the nafl prayers.
Even if we do the sin again, we should do astaghfar and do our best to ask Allah for forgiveness every time we fall short. There is not a person that doesn`t sin. But the muslims Allah likes the most are those whom ask a lot for forgiveness to Allah after they sin and try to avoid doing it again. May Allah make us of those whom always ask Him for forgiveness and makes us His pious worshippers. Ameen summa ameen.