“Nothing drives back Al-Qadaa (a decree) except for supplication, and nothing increases a persons lifespan except for Al-Birr (dutifulness to one`s parents).” (Jami`At-Tirmidhi)
Therefore it is very important that one knows how the supplication will be answered. There are many ways of supplicating. Some people supplicate but their supplications aren`t answered. Here I will list a few points about the manners of supplication, so that in sha Allah you also supplicate like it is meant to be done.
- Dutifulness to parents is one way that leads to your prayers being answered. A person that is dutiful to his parents will always be guided to goodness. Allah will put love for him into the hearts of people; and he becomes more likely to have his supplications answered.
- It is advised that one does good deeds before a supplication. Those deeds that brings you closer to Allah, such as prayer, zakat, fasting etc. Allah`s love for His slaves means His being pleased with him, His help, His support, and His answering that slave`s supplications. Allah`s anger for a slave, means His wrath upon that slave, and His rejection of that slave`s supplication. Do a good deed in the Eyes of Allah and then supplicate, and in sha Allah your supplications will be answered.
Seek closeness to Allah by voluntary acts of worship in addition to your obligatory worship and your supplications will be answered. Abu Hurayra narrated that the Messenger of Allah said: ” Allah said: ” Whoever shows enmity to a close friend of mine then I declare war upon him. No slave seeks closeness to Me with anything that is more beloved to Me than that which I have made obligatory upon him. And My slave continues to seek closeness to Me through voluntary acts of worship until I love him. And when I love him, I become his hearing that he hears with, his sight that he sees with, his hand that he strikes with, and his leg that he walks with. If he asks Me,I give him; if he seeks refuge with Me, I give him refuge. And I have never hesitated about something I do the way I hesitate to take the soul of a believer; he dislikes death, and I dislike his being distressed (or harmed). (Sahih Bukhari).
- It is advised to face the Qibla when supplicating as our Prophet Muhammad used to do. And we have hadiths that points toward it.
- It is advised to raise your hands while supplicating.
- It is advised to supplicate to Allah in secret. When one supplicate quietly and in secret the concentration and humility is better. You know The King of All Kings is listening. You feel a sence of closeness to Allah. You supplicate for a longer period than. And for protection from jealousy of others. Allah says : “invoke your Lord in humility and secret. He likes not the aggressors”. (Quran 7:55).
- When one supplicate and is attentive your supplications will be answered. The Prophet (pbuh) has said: ” When you invoke Allah, You should believe with certainty that your supplication will be answered. And know that Allah does not answer a supplication from a heart that is inattentive and heedless.”
- It is important to supplicate to Allah persistently and repeatedly. Making the same supplications over and over again. Showing ones humility and complete dependence of your Lord.
- Ask with determination. By doing so and being sure in one`s supplication one shows that one trusts Allah, that His Lord is All-Seeing, All-Hearing, and can do all things. Don`t say “if you will, give me that”, be determined. Think well of Allah, be sure that he will answer your supplication.
- Don`t be a transgressor in your supplication. Like asking Allah to help you steal or do something haram.
- Don`t ask for help for sinning or breaking of ties of kinship. Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said: ” A slave will continue to be answered in his supplications as long as he doesn`t invoke for a sin to be carried out or for breaking of ties of kinship and as long as he does not rush”.
Remember that no matter what you have to not stop supplicating to Allah. Allah doesn`t like those whom doesn`t ask of Him. Allah says:
” And your Lord said; “Invoke Me and ask Me for anything, I will respond to your invocation. Verily! Those who scorn My worship, (i.e. doesn`t invoke Me, and do not believe in my Oneness, they will surely enter Hell in humiliation”. (Quran 40:60).
No matter what don`t lose hope in Allah. He does answers prayers but in his own way. Sometimes He gives, other times he withholds, sometimes he saves it for the hereafter, other times he saves you from a bigger calamity, but he does respond to the supplication. Put your trust in Allah and He will in sha Allah take care of the rest.
Exctracts taken out from ” the book of manners” written by Fuad Ibn Abdul Azeez Ash-Shulhoob.